Comment on page
World Bank’s Climate Change Knowledge Portal
The Climate Change Knowledge Portal (CCKP) contains data, reports, and maps about climate change around the world. The portal presents historical climatic data from the Global Historical Climatology Network (GHCN), National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP), the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia (UEA), and the International Water Management Institute (IWMI). It also contains projected climatic data derived from 15 global circulation models (GCMs) using datasets made available through the IPCC’s Data Distribution Centre (see below). The CCKP additionally provides access to impact data grouped in four themes: “agriculture,” “natural hazards,” “water,” and “sea level rise.” These include such datasets as:
- agricultural crop projections to 2050 and 2080 from the GAEZ Model of the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA-FAO);
- contribution of agriculture sector to country’s overall economy, involvement of labor force in agriculture sector and comparison with percentage rural population (World Bank);
- Fire Density, Flood Frequency, Tropical Cyclone Footprints from the Global Risk Data Platform, (UNEP-GRID);
- Flood Mortality Risk, Earthquake Mortality Risk, Cyclone Mortality Risk, Drought Mortality Risk, Multi-Hazard Mortality Risk, Landslide Hazard (CIESIN);
- Occurrence and effects of over 18,000 mass disasters in the world from 1900 to present (EMDAT);
- Behavior of key hydrologic drivers on more than 8000 watersheds across World Bank regions (World Bank).
Finally, the CCKP provides access to 15 to 16 socioeconomic indicators aggregated at the national level related to land use, population, GDP, and public health (World Bank).