Purpose of the Measurement Guide
The Measurement Guide is not a new measurement tool by which Charter adopters will be marked on their progress. Instead, its purpose is to:
- Help governments inform, design, implement, monitor and re-engineer their open data activities, including data publication policies and improvement programs.
- Understand and engage with the underlying analytical framework and architecture of existing indicators.
The Measurement Guide will support:
- Governments during the Charter implementation process, to help them measure their progress in designing programmes that deliver their commitments and better formulate Charter adoption statements, including national and sub-national plans.
- Civil society and communicators to monitor progress of government open data policies/action plans and develop recommendations for improvement.
- Researchers and open data assessment practitioners to identify measurement gaps, improve current indicators, and develop new ones.
- Funders/donors to better understand existing measurement tools and improvements that they could potentially support in the future